Online freelancing platforms have provided a safe space for freelancers and clients to do transactions. However, some platforms do not come free as these online freelancing platforms have membership subscriptions to access more of their advanced features. While there are platforms that provide free plan subscriptions, it is in exchange for their commission rates.
Fiverr is the leading online freelancing platform. however, there are still many options to choose from depending on your needs. With this, Here are the top 5 online freelancing platforms with and without membership subscription plans as alternatives to Fiverr:
Upwork is considered to be the pioneer in the online freelancing industry given its already 20+ years old. It has given over 3 million jobs to 12 million freelancers from their 5 million clients which generate $302.6 million annually.
- Freelancers are protected when they turn on their time trackers. Hence, if the client does not pay the time rendered, Upwork will shoulder the fees.
- Also, freelancers are required to pay connects in order to apply for a job post
- Jobs you can find here include Web, Mobile & Software Dev, IT & Networking, Data Science & Analytics, Engineering & Architecture, Design & Creative, Writing, Translation, and Legal.
- Top Rated and Rising Talent programs let quality freelancers enjoy higher visibility with the added status of prestigious programs.
- All invoices and payments happen through Upwork. Hourly and fixed-price projects
- Multiple payment options
- 20% for the first $500 billed with the client
- 10% for lifetime billings with the client between $500.01 and $10,000
- 5% for lifetime billings with the client that exceed $10,000
Freelancers Plus: $14.99/month
- Keeps the freelancer’s profile active even without earnings
- Access to competitor bid range
- Comes with 70 connects per month which is used for job applications
- Comes with a customized profile URL
- Earnings may be confidential
- Connects cost $0.15 (USD) each and are sold in bundles of 10, 20, 40, 60, and 80. Connects are used by freelancers to submit proposals on job posts.
- Verified work history and reviews
- Unlimited proposals
- Built-in collaboration tools and easy payments
Plus: $49.99/ month
- Everything in Basic
- Dedicated account managers to help you find and hire quality talent fast
- Project tracking and collaboration tools for teams
- Tailored search results featuring Top Rated and Rising Talent
Business: $849/ month
- Everything in Plus
- Consolidated billing and invoicing with net 30 pay
- Dedicated team of advisors to get you hiring faster and more successfully
- Detailed reporting with company insights and trends
Enterprise: Price Varies
- Everything in Business
- Custom configurable contracting and onboarding process
- Worker classification compliance services
- Project-based or managed solutions, and dedicated account executive
- Most payments are subject to a 3% processing fee.
Freelancer.com has been in the industry for quite long as well. In their 11 years, they provided 8.5 million jobs to over 45 million freelancers which generates $40.6 million annually.
- Allows the freelancer to have a signed agreement with the client in place to seal the deal
- Bidding process
- Allows freelancers to write a compelling reason why the employer should pick them over everyone else
- Jobs you can find here: Website Design, PHP, Graphic Design, Web development, Article Writing, Data Entry, Internet marketing, SEO, 3D Modelling, Copywriting, Ghost Writing, Legal, Manufacturing, and Logistics.
- Has a “Preferred Freelancer Program” and enables freelancers to get access to exclusive projects and make the profile stand out as one of the best.
- Withdraw money via PayPal Wire Transfer, Moneybookers, or a nominated local bank account (works through their Express Withdrawal System)
- Hourly projects: 10% of the payment released to the freelancer is charged a fee.
- Fixed-price projects: 10% of the winning bid or $5 USD is collected when the awarded freelancer accepts the project. Each subsequent payment to the freelancer in excess of the original bid amount will incur a 10% project fee.
- Intro: $0.99/month
- Basic: $4.95/month
- Plus: $9.95/month
- Professional: $29.95/month
- Premiere: $59.95/month
- No charge for posting jobs
- No membership fees
- Fixed price projects: a fee of 3% or $3.00 USD (whichever is greater) is levied at the time a project that has been awarded
- Hourly projects: a fee of 3% is levied on each payment
Relatively new for being in the industry for just 5 years, GoLance is setting the standard for other online freelancing platforms. It claims to be the most flexible online marketplace with the lowest services fees and the fastest payment options for freelancers. With over 500 thousand freelancers, it has generated $32.30 million annually.
- “Fund a milestone” functionality
- Provides choices to narrow down positions that are perfect for the freelancer
- Jobs you can find here: Web Development, Design & Creative, Sales & Marketing, Administrative Support, Writing, and IT & Administration
- Offers a star rating system that contains the number of jobs that a freelancer completed as well as feedback from former clients
- Multiple payment options
- Standard payout period is that freelancers work and invoice clients on Monday. Clients have 5 days to review the work. By Wednesday, clients pay.
- For a small fee, they can bypass the review period and get money out whenever they want.
- Standard 7.95% commission fee from every project payment
- No withdrawing fees
- No membership plans
- Charges 7.95% commission fee on each payment made
- No charge fees for posting jobs or awarding jobs
- No membership fees
One of the relatively new online freelancing platforms, it has over 40 thousand clients and generates $49.7 million annually.
- Set the hourly rate when you initially get set up in the FreeUp network.
- Ability to reject projects if not in desired rate range.
- The Freelancer Success Team will review a freelancer applicant’s information and make a decision on if they will be invited for an interview. Only approved freelancers will be able to join the Freeeup platform.
- Jobs you can find here: Accounting & Finance, Amazon, Business Operations, Content Creation, Ecommerce, Marketing & Sales, Web Design, and Web, Mobile, Software Development.
- If accepted into the network, the freelancer can set up payments through PayPal and Payoneer, or choose to invoice the client each week.
- The freelancer will be paid for the hours and fixed price projects that he or she billed clients the following Thursday
No sign up or monthly fees
Entry Level: $5 to $10 per hour
- Entry level freelancers are perfect for businesses that already have systems and processes in place.
Mid Level: $10 to $30 per hour
- Mid level freelancers are specialists with their own processes.
Expert Level: $30 to $75+ per hour
- Expert level freelancers are consultants and strategists helping you to organize and expand.
- No sign up or monthly fees
- No job posting fees
- Project fee is an upfront 15% with a $2 minimum per hour, and 15% on fixed-price project
People per hour have almost 100 thousand freelancers in the last 13 years which generates $2.4 million annually. They provide options for the freelancers to make offers for existing jobs or propose “hourlies”.
- Protected from the moment the proposal is selected as clients pay a deposit into an escrow account, which is held safe until the freelancer completes the project and raises an invoice.
- Allows the freelancer to create offers.
- Sell custom services in bitesize offers and start building lasting relationships with clients.
- Send 15 proposals per month for free.
- Pay People per hour to feature their proposal to maximize the chance of success in landing a client.
- Jobs you can find here: Administration, Business Support, Creative Arts & Design, Marketing & PR, Search Marketing, Social Media, Software Development, Translation, Tutorials, Video, Photo, Audio, Web Development, and Writing
- Freelancers are rated out of five and given an in-depth review.
- Freelancers who are consistently rated highly benefit from higher rankings, increased visibility and greater success on the platform.
- Payout may be through PayPal, Payoneer* or bank account.
- No signup/registration fee
- £250: 20%
- £251-£4,999: 7.5%
- £5,000: 3.5%
- Service fee: 10% of the total project cost
These online freelancing platforms have a huge network of freelance clients but most of the time, it will not be easy to get clients because of its competitive community. Starting new? Get your first client and handle it like a pro by availing our Email Templates for Freelancers for only P350!